ASL Journal 14: ANZAC Special Edition is a 56-page magazine for Advanced Squad Leader that features articles, scenarios, and a Historical ASL Campaign Game completely authored and designed by our friends Down Under. At the heart of J14 is the “Sparrow Force” HASL, featuring a map, mini-Campaign Game, and scenarios designed by Simon Spinetti and Andy Rogers (Hatten in Flames) covering the action between Australian and Japanese forces in and around the village of Babau on the island of Timor in 1942.
ASL Journal 14 articles include:
- ANZAC Stories-Part 1 by Andy Rogers delivers several history lessons on the ANZAC forces covered in this issue.
- A history of the Battle for Crete and how ANZAC forces fared in the battle by Dr. Al Palazzo
- A Series Replay of AP161 ANZAC Boys by Aaron Cleavin & Andy
- The Magnificent Seven, Andy’s list of the seven scenarios from Journal 14 he recommends for tournament play.
- Reflections on Hatten in Flames through four articles by its designer:
- Hatten in Flames Revisited
- Bringing a Mk IV to a Tank Fight
- Hatten in Flames: The Stalemate Continues
- Hatten in Flames: Map Genesis
- Sparrow Force Stories by Andy, covering the history and details of this issue’s mini-CG.
- Sparrow Force Defense by Andy offers a primer to the Australian player in the Sparrow Force mini-CG.
- All The King’s Enemies, an account of the Australian 17th Australian Infantry Brigade in World War II, by Andy.
- Scenario Breakdown: Dingoes at Damour by Aaron Cleavin, John Knowles, & Alan Smee offers the insight of three players into both attack and defense in this Action Pack 16 scenario.
- ANZAC Stories–Part 2 by Murray McCloskey & Andy picks up where Part I left off.
- Sparrow Force mini–CG: Some Thoughts offers insights by its designer on Campaign Game issues and questions.
- Finally, The Debriefing offers this issue’s errata updates.
ASL Journal 14 has 24 ASL scenarios:
J223 Latecomers (French vs Italian, 22 June 1940)
J224 Posts 9-11 (Italian vs Australian, 3 January 1941)
J225 At The Feet Of Zeus (New Zealand vs German, 17 April 1941)
J226 Drawing The Kroh (Australian vs German, 20 May 1941)
J227 Another Frustrating Day (Allied vs German, 21 May 1941)
J228 Flying Samurai (CG Day1; Australian vs Japanese, 20 February 1942)
J229 Tasmanian Devils (CG Day 2; Japanese vs Australian, 21 February 1942)
J230 Battle For Babau (CG Day 3; Australian vs Japanese, 22 February 1942)
J231 Cooking Up A Storm (Australian vs Japanese, 20 February 1942)
J232 ANZAC Spirit (Japanese vs Australian, 20 February 1942)
J233 Roff Riders (Japanese vs Australian, 21 February 1942)
J234 Buckley’s Chance (Australian vs Japanese, 22 February 1942)
J235 Irksome Rearguard (Japanese vs Australian, 23 October 1942)
J236 Deadly Dexter (Australian vs Japanese, 21 June 1943)
J237 Commandos at Kaiapit (Japanese vs Australian, 20 September 1943)
J238 Derrick’s Show (Japanese vs Australian, 24 November 1943)
J239 Shoot or Shovel (American vs Japanese, 28 December 1943)
J240 Hurricane Biak (American vs Japanese, 2 June 1944)
J241 It’s A Battlefield (Commonwealth vs German, 11 June 1944)
J242 Courage of Cowan (American vs German, 17 December 1944)
J243 Sore Thumbs (German vs American, 16 January 1945)
J244 Bowden’s Wood (American vs German, 19 January 1945)
J245 Factory Fodder (American vs German, 25 January 1945)
J246 Loser Takes All (Russian vs German, 9 March 1945)